Friday, September 12, 2008

Civil Engineering news story

My dad sent me a link to a story in the Engineering News Record about an unusual bridge design being used in Columbus, Ohio.

One of the photos (bottom of the story) shows the arch under construction. You can see the pair of column trusses needed to hold it up until the keystone piece is added.

The Wiki article about this bridge points to a local news story and the pdf file of a detailed paper about the bridge design submitted to an international bridge engineering conference that should interest anyone who wants to go into structural engineering.

I'm not sure about the claim that this is the only bridge of its kind in the US, since I know I have driven over something similar on I-65. It could be that this one uses one arch for a divided roadbed, while the one I remember had an arch for each of two separate bridges, with the two arches tied together in the middle.

No comments: